How to locate sources of research funding
Both Newcastle University and Newcastle Hospitals are committed to helping staff obtain external funding to support their research.
Most funding opportunities are issued via calls from funding bodies on a regular basis; other funding may be available via one-off theme-led opportunities.
Closing dates for these calls are often issued at fairly short notice. It is important that you maximise your chances of knowing when these opportunities will arise.
This can be done through:
• Searching online databases
• Signing up for email alerts from funding bodies (MRC, NIHR, Wellcome Trust, AMRC etc…)
• Subscribing to RSS feeds or twitter feed (@FMSgrantfunding)
• University and Trust newsletters
• Informing your research support staff of your interests
• Your Research Funding Team
Note that both of the online databases below include funding for the UK and overseas:
RDFunding is a searchable database for health-related research funding. It is an open website. It can be searched in many ways, e.g. alphabetically by funder, by type of funding, by closing date.
NIHR Funding calls are announced on the front page of the NIHR Research Design Service North East and North Cumbria website.
Please see our ‘Tips for writing a proposal’ for some general guidance on how to approach applications.
For help locating funding for your research, please contact the Research Funding Team.