So the big day arrives. You’ve picked your accommodation, packed your suitcase and now it’s time to move into your new home for the year. Then what? This list of insider tips will help you settle in to your new home, whichever accommodation you’ve chosen.
- The great news if you’re living here is how close you are to the Metro transport system (just a couple of mins walk). And the journey to the main campus is just 7 minutes!
- All hail Dominos! Living here you don’t even need to wait for a delivery, as the store is just 5 minutes away.
- A handy Sainsbury’s Local supermarket is only a short walk away. Perfect for picking up those forgotten essentials.
- You’re not far from Gosforth High Street, a busy street packed with restaurants, cafes, a gym and a hairdressers. There is also a larger Sainsbury’s here, which is handy for your weekly shop.
- The Brandling Villa pub serves amazing food and drinks – perfect for meeting friends and catching up.
- In Castle Leazes there’s the option to go catered, with Eat@CastleLeazes just downstairs. Students living in Marris House or Leazes Parade can also head over and purchase a freshly-cooked meal from the servery.
- Castle Leazes is also home to a cool bar, with chill out areas and TVs. Students staying in Marris House and Leazes Parade can also hang out here after a long day of lectures and its a great way to meet new people.
- Londis, located just past Marris House and a 5 min walk from Leazes, is the ideal place for when you need to grab something quick to eat.
- The uni gym is super close by and handy for those early morning (or late night) gym sessions.
- A beautiful scenic park with a lake is only a short walk away. Leazes Park is great for getting out the flat for some fresh air or lounging in the sunshine.
Photography by www.idene.co.uk
- Good news if you’re studying at the Business School – you’ll be right next door, meaning you can roll out of bed and be in a lecture in just under 10 mins!
- You’ll be right next to St James’ Park football ground, the home of Newcastle United.
- A Tesco Express is located right next to the Business School and only a couple mins walk from your accommodation. It’s also open until midnight.
- A couple of minutes walk away is the popular China Town, full of some of the best Chinese restaurants. A great place to go with friends.
- Just behind China Town is The Gate, a large entertainment complex featuring a casino, nightclubs, restaurants and a cinema.
- You’re super close to the main campus – very handy if you enjoy a morning lie in!
- The “Robbo” Robinson Libary is right in the neighbourhood, perfect for grabbing textbooks or having a study session.
- Not far away is the Hancock, a free museum with a varied programme of exhibitions, expert talks and courses.
- Three words: Quilliam Brothers Teahouse. Here you can try over 60 varieties of tea, grab a lovely lunch or watch late night movies.
- Shop until you drop: you’re only a short walk from Into Eldon Square.
- Fancy a swim? You’re in luck, as Fenham swimming pool is very close by.
- Fenham is one of the most multicultural areas of Tyneside. Just a 10 minute walk and you’ll be on Two Ball Lonnen Street, which is full of takeaways and exotic food shops.
- There’s also a free shuttle bus to and from uni!
- Morrison’s supermarket just a 15 minute walk away, so you can stock up on scran.
- There are loads of public buses going past, but you can walk into town too.
- These accommodation options are located within a 10 minute walking distance of each other, so you’ll be living in a vibrant student area.
- Subway and Tesco are located directly underneath Turner Court.
- Just a short walk away is Nancy’s Bordello bar and kitchen, serving food and drinks at student-friendly prices. Spot on for a nice Sunday lunch.
- The centre of town is less than a 5 minute taxi ride, which means no large fares.
- Quayside cafes, restaurants and bars such as the Slug & Lettuce, Pitcher and Piano and the infamous Great British Cupcakery are just a short walk away.
Wherever you’re living, grab the chance to make the most of the city around you – and see what hidden gems of your own you can find!
Got a question? just ask us