Give it a rest man: Relaxing North East style

Published by Andrew - Museum Studies MA February 15, 2017 11:54 am

The one thing you should always remember while at Uni is that you’re not just here to study, you’re here to have fun and relax too. The good news is that Newcastle and the surrounding area have got you covered!

As postgraduate students, we all work hard and that’s why it’s so important to take some time yourself and just chill out. I always aim to have at least one day per week of ‘me time’ where I do something fun and go somewhere that isn’t campus.

I love being outdoors and there are plenty of places nearby to get some fresh air and a scenic wow-factor. About 30 minutes from Newcastle is the underrated seaside town of South Shields, which has a gorgeous beach and is where the lifeboat was invented.

1

At the beach with my dog

I often take my dog along for a walk and swim along Littlehaven beach and through the Marine Park. The park has a boating lake full of swans and miniature steam train (adults are allowed to ride it too though!). The seafront has so much to offer and is easily accessible via the metro. On your way home make sure to head to Ocean Road for a curry, it’s rightly called the curry capital of the North-East and the food is so good it’s even been flown to Africa.

3

See…told you it was for adults too!

As a Museum Studies student, I also love visiting all of the different cultural and heritage attractions across the region and to learn more about the area’s history. One of my favourite places to go is Beamish. They have recreated villages, coal mining pits and cottages and even a farm. All the buildings have been moved and reconstructed at the site and it gives a wonderful insight of what life was like in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The site is in the Durham countryside and is so peaceful so would swear that you actually had gone back in time.

Newcastle also has a vibrant bar and café culture and there aren’t many better ways to relax than sitting down with a tea or coffee with my friends and having a good old catch up. One of my favourite places is Quilliam Brothers teahouse, they have more kinds of tea than I can count (which is just another reason to keep going there) and the homemade scones are fantastic.

5

Quilliam Bros

It’s also nice to sometimes to just sit and watch the world go by with a few drinks. My favourite place to do that is the Ouseburn Valley just outside of Newcastle. I often walk up to the other side of the valley and sit in the garden of the Free Trade Inn and look at the river. There isn’t a better view of the city anywhere else, don’t take my word for it though, come and have a look yourself!

I’m not sure if this part is ‘relaxing’ but it’s something I love and something you should try when in Newcastle; going to watch Newcastle United play. We don’t always (or very often) win but there’s nothing quite like hearing 50,000 Geordies cheering on their team. It’s so loud you can hear the fans in St. James’ Park from the other side of the city.

So howay man, what are you waiting for? Get yasel to the Toon and relax!

Register for an event

Share on